Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!

The dumbest thing a tenant can do on an application for a property is lie. "No, I don't smoke. No, I don't have any pets. No it will only be me and my partner living here, we don't have any kids. No, I've never been to Tenancy Tribunal. Yes, my credit history is good. You can't call my landlord right now, they're overseas. I'm leaving my current property because it's been sold."

These, and many other lies, are just so easy to see through. And if our automatic lie detector doesn't go off immediately, all red flashing lights and sirens, the second line of defence kicks in, the background checks.

I'm not surprised so many people try lying on their tenancy applications - they might just get away with it, and for some people that is easier than being a better behaved tenant. The problem is, when we catch them in a lie, that's it. They don't get to live in the property, no matter how innocent the omission.

Why are we so hard-arse about this? Well, would you give someone you couldn't trust a quarter of a million dollars or more? No way, right? So why should we put a tenant we don't trust into a property worth that much? We are not that stupid.

Trust starts with telling the truth. If the truth isn't pretty, what do you need to do to be a more desirable applicant? Live that life and get better properties. If you are an honest tenant, apply for properties here.

No comments:

Post a Comment